Hoban & Feola, LLC
Address: 730 17th Street Suite 420
Bob Hoban is the Managing Partner at Hoban Law Group, the nation’s premier cannabusiness law firm, with attorneys in over a dozen states and abroad. Bob is recognized as one of the leading commercial cannabis practitioners nationwide; representing private and publicly-held clients in numerous states and abroad. He has litigated nearly every aspect of Colorado’s Marijuana Code and has closed over 300 marijuana-related business transactions. Marijuana and hemp-based business operations, related litigation and regulatory counsel are a specialty. He is an AV® Preeminent™ rated attorney and seasoned full-service commercial practitioner. Bob is also Principal and Owner at Solana Business Solutions, which offers comprehensive consulting, management, regulatory, and product solutions services for the entire commercial cannabis industry – serving both THC and CBD business models.
Bob is recognized as one of the leading commercial cannabis practitioners nationwide; representing private and publicly-held clients in numerous states and abroad. He has litigated nearly every aspect of Colorado’s Marijuana Code and has closed over 300 marijuana-related business transactions. Marijuana and hemp-based business operations, related litigation and regulatory counsel are a specialty.
Bob is a professor at the University of Denver, in the Law and Society Program, and regularly instructs regarding government regulations, public policy, and research-based policy courses.
Furthermore, Bob has drafted more than 30 bills for the Colorado General Assembly (eminent domain/land use, hemp/marijuana and transportation).
In 2006, he co-founded the Colorado Property Rights Coalition [www.thecprc.org] and is a leading eminent domain practitioner representing landowners and developers in the eminent domain process.
Bob is also involved in renewable energy projects in the areas of regulatory compliance, business structuring, and land acquisition. He is General Counsel to Waunita Power Company, LLC and Pagosa Verde, LLC (both Colorado-based geothermal projects [www.waunitapower.com and www.pagosaverde.com]).
From 2001-02, Bob was a judicial clerk with Hon. Jack Berryhill in Colorado’s 1st J.D.
From 2002-2003, Bob clerked in the U.S. District Court.
In 2006, Bob was awarded the George Holley Outstanding Young Lawyer of the Year.
Since 2010, Bob has been rated as “Superb” by Avvo.com
Since 2013, Bob has been rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbard.
- UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO, GRADUATE SCHOOL OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS, Ph.D., ABD, 2007
- UNIVERSITY OF WYOMING, COLLEGE OF LAW, JD,2001
- RUTGERS UNIVERSITY, BS,1997
- HOBAN LAW GROUP: 2009-Present, Denver, Colorado, Managing Partner. [www.hoban.law]
- SOLANA BUSINESS SOLUTIONS: 2013-Present, Denver, Colorado, President[http://www.solana.company]
- WAUNITA POWER COMPANY: 2008-Present, Gunnison, Colorado, Vice President/GeneralCounsel. [www.waunitapower.com]
- MARTIN, LUBITZ AND HYMAN, LLC: 2008-2009, Denver, Colorado, Of Counsel.
- FRANK &FINGER, P.C.: 2006-2008, Evergreen, Colorado, Partner.
- HALE FRIESEN, LLP: 2003-2006, Denver, Colorado, Associate Attorney.
- S. DISTRICT COURT (Hon. W. Beaman): 2002, Law Clerk.
- COLORADO DISTRICT COURT (Hon. J. Berryhill): 2001, LawClerk.
PROFESSIONAL TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- UNIVERSITY OF DENVER: 2011-Present, Denver, CO, Adjunct Professor/Lecturer. Political Science/Law & Society
- LARAMIE COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE: 1999-2001, Laramie/Cheyenne, WY, Adjunct Professor/Lecturer. Business Law, Administration of Justice.
- PANEL MEMBER: Colorado Department of Revenue, Rules Committee; City of Denver, Excise and Licensing Advisory Committee; Colorado Bar Association, Eminent Domain Committee.
PROFESSIONAL SEMINARS – FACULTY/PRESENTER
- The State of Marijuana 2016 Onboard the Queen Mary – Long Beach, CA – September, 2016 – “Once It’s Legal, I’m getting Into the Business” – Presenter
- Hemp Industries Association Conference – Denver, CO – September, 2016
- Cannabis World Congress and Business Expo – Los Angeles, CA – September, 2016
- City of Boulder, Colorado Chamber of Commerce – August, 2016 – “Cannabis in the Workplace”
- NCIA Cannabis Business Summit – Oakland, CA – June, 2016 – “Starting and Operating a Successful Medical Cannabis Dispensary, Cultivation or Infused Products Company” – Seminar
- International Cannabis Association World Congress and Business Expo – NYC – June, 2016
- Viridian Cannabis Investment Series – Fort Lauderdale, FL – Sponsor – June, 2016
- MJ Biz Daily Conference, Orlando, FL – Featured Presenter – “The Status of CBD: Demand, Preferences & Possibilities” – May, 2016
- NoCo Hemp Expo – Moderator and Presenter – “Solving the Seed Puzzle,” “Policy, Law and Banking,” “Let’s Talk Hemp” – April, 2016
- National Hemp Association Hemp Law Forum, Denver – Moderator and Speaker – March, 2016
- Hoban Law Group Client Networking Event, Denver – Moderator – February, 2016
- Colorado Bar Association CLE – Featured Presenter – “Land-use and Environmental Issues of Marijuana” – Vail, Colorado – January 2016
- Women Grow Denver Chapter Meeting – “Cannabis for PTSD” – November 2015
- Bloomberg BNA Conference on Marijuana in Colorado – “Marijuana in Colorado: Advanced Tax, Legal and Accounting Considerations,” – November 2015
- Medical Cannabis Summit – New York, NY – Featured Presenter – “Top Ten Issues for the Cannabis Investor” – October 2015
- Southwest Cannabis Conference and Expo, Phoenix, AZ – Moderator and Speaker – October, 2015
- National Cannabis Industry Association Conference, NYC – Panelist and Speaker – “Financing Your Marijuana Business,” “Corporate Governance” – September, 2015
- Los Angeles Cannabis Congress – Speaker, “Hemp” – September, 2015
- Hoban Law Group Client Regulatory Form, Denver – August, 2015
- Pagosa Verde Renewable Energy Symposium – Featured Presenter concerning Hemp 101 – Legal Landscapes – August, 2015
- National Cannabis Chamber of Commerce Indo Expo, Denver – “Hemp Movement,” – July, 2015
- Rocky Mountain Hemp Association Hemp Law Form, Denver – Moderator and Speaker, “The Murky Legality of Hemp” – July, 2015
- National Cannabis Industry Association Conference, Chicago – Featured Speaker – June, 2015
- World Cannabis Congress Conference, NYC – Featured Speaker – June, 2015
- CannaCosta Conference, Costa Rica – Featured Panelist and Speaker – June, 2015
- Chicago Cannabis Expo – Featured Speaker – May, 2015
- Tom Martino Troubleshooter Radio Show – Featured Guest re: MJ in Colorado – April, 2015
- Foxmoor Continuing Education Cannabis Summit – Featured Presenter concerning licensing and real estate as they relate to the marijuana industry in Colorado – March, 2015
- Young Professionals Organization – Guest Speaker – January, 2015
- Colorado Chapter of the Appraisal Institute – Featured Presenter concerning regulatory takings and the emerging marijuana industry in Colorado – August, 2014
- Pagosa Verde Renewable Energy Symposium – Featured Presenter concerning The Cannabis Question – Legal Landscapes – August, 2014
- CLE International Eminent Domain Annual Conference – Featured Presenter concerning marijuana and regulatory takings – August, 2013
- The Politics of Medical Marijuana – Denver University –2012
- Marijuana at the Crossroads – University of Denver Sturm College of Law – 2012
- Marijuana in the workplace – Denver University – MLA Program – 2011
- Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure – First Judicial District Bar Association CLE – 2010
- The Business of Marijuana – CLE – 2010
- Marijuana: Leases and Business Structure – CWA/WJEC – 2010
- Former Board Member, Evergreen Jazz Festival
- Board Member, Colorado Trail Foundation
- High School Mock Trial Competition Judge and Volunteer
- Collegiate and High School Basketball Official
- Colorado Property Rights Coalition, Co-Founder and Volunteer
- First Judicial District Bar Association (Former Trustee, Former Board of Governors Representative, Current Awards Committee Chairperson)
EXTENDED RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
- COLORADO 1st JUDICIAL DIST., HON. J.W. BERRYHILL: 2001-2002
Golden, CO. Law Clerk.
- S. DISTRICT COURT – WYOMING: Spring 2001. Cheyenne, WY. Intern.
- WYOMING ATTORNEY GENERAL: Fall 2000. Cheyenne, WY.
- COLLEGE OF LAW, PROF. ELAINE WELLE: 2000-2001. Laramie, WY. Research Assistant.
- WYOMING LEGAL RESEARCH SERVICES: May 2000-August 2001. Laramie, WY.Assistant Director.
- WYOMING LAW REVIEW: May 2000-May 2001. Laramie, WY. Author/Editor.
- NEW HAMPSHIRE STATE PUBLIC DEFENDER: Summer 2000. Concord, NH. Law Clerk.
- COLLEGE OF LAW, PROFESSOR JIM DWYER, PhD: May 1999-May 2000
Laramie, WY. Teaching and Research Assistant.
- WESTERN TRIAL ADVOCACY INSTITUTE: June-July 1999
Laramie, WY. Assistant to Director; Presenter.
Cornerstone Group XXII, L.L.C. v. Wheat Ridge Urban Renewal, — P.3d —-, WL 2291146 (Colo. App.)
Whalen v. Shepler, 104 P.3d 243, 244 (Colo.App. 2004)
Jack Akin and Carole Stepe v. Four Corners Encampment, et al., — P.3d —-, 2007 WL 1150450 (Colo.App. 2007), Court of Appeals No.: 05CA1228.
- Victim or the Crime: An Analysis of Hate Crime Legislation – 2000
- Vouchers Within Reason: A Child-Centered Approach to Education Reform – 2002
- “Colorado’s Emerging Medical Marijuana Legal Framework and Constitutional Rights,” Bob Hoban – 2011
- S. District Court, Colorado
- S. District Court, Wyoming
- S. Bankruptcy Court, Colorado
- First Judicial District Bar Association: Board of Trustees, Board of Governors
- Colorado Bar Association: Board of Governors
- Denver Bar Association
Select Medical and Recreational Marijuana and Hemp Experience:
- Managing Partner at Colorado’s largest and most experienced commercial marijuana business team/law firm;
- Professor at the University of Denver, teaching regulatory law and public policy;
- Former President of the Cannabis Business Alliance;
- A member of the Colorado Medical Marijuana Enforcement Division Rules Committee;
- Has litigated every aspect of Colorado’s marijuana regulatory framework;
- Has published various articles concerning marijuana law and policy issues;
- Published author and frequent speaker/lecturer/panelist concerning various commercial marijuana topics;
- Sponsoring member of the National Cannabis Industry Association since 2014
- Was a drafter of Colorado’s marijuana regulatory legislation